Hampshire finished 8th in the top flight of County Correspondence Chess which has just one game outstanding between Surrey & Yorkshire B. The tournament has been won by West Wales A followed by Warwickshire and Yorkshire A in 2nd & 3rd places. The result for Hampshire this season is a disappointment but the competition was extremely tough with the majority of games drawn.
Steven Lefevre won both games against Joseph Sharp of Sussex. The first game was a Taimanov Sicilian won by Steven in 48 moves, the second game as Black saw an English Opening Four Knights variation which Steven won in just 26 moves, not an easy feat in correspondence chess.
The team for 2017 are listed with a link to their games played on the ICCF Webserver. Each pairing features two games against the same opponent. The full Division One table may be seen here.
- Board 1: C. Bennett https://www.iccf.com/event?id=61539
- Board 2: F. McLeod https://www.iccf.com/event?id=61548
- Board 3: M. J. Blake https://www.iccf.com/event?id=61553
- Board 4: R. Ward https://www.iccf.com/event?id=61558
- Board 5: R. Perrin https://www.iccf.com/event?id=61562
- Board 6: D. Thompson https://www.iccf.com/event?id=61568
- Board 7: H. Grieve https://www.iccf.com/event?id=61571
- Board 8: S. LeFevre https://www.iccf.com/event?id=61578
Correspondence Chess is an excellent way to study chess and Hampshire players wishing to represent the County should contact the Correspondence Team Captain Phil Barber for further information. Games are usually played online via the ICCFF Webserver though at times other opportunities may arise.